Our Mission, Philosophy, & Beliefs
The mission of Westbury Middle School is to create lifelong learners who are prepared to enter and be successful in a diverse and ever changing society. To fulfill this commitment, we will provide all students with a safe and nurturing environment, and instill in them a sense of respect, integrity, cooperation and character. We will encourage students to excel in their academic and social pursuits while continuing to stimulate their intellectual curiosity and artistic expression. With the cooperation of students, teachers, staff and parents, we will create a community of learners and achievers who are... Striving for Success ... Nothing Less!
Westbury Middle School proudly reflects the multi-racial, multi-ethnic community of which we are a part. Our staff and students, along with parents and the community, join together in providing an educational environment which fosters the growth of all. We hold the following beliefs about all of our students:
- Each is capable of learning.
- Each can achieve excellence.
- Each needs the support of a nurturing family, a supportive community, and an effective school system.
Our staff has the responsibility to maintain an educational program of excellence. We attempt to involve the learner - individually, in small groups, and as a whole class, by providing relevant, valid hands-on activities, and by encouraging active participation.
Our students have the responsibility to bring to the educational setting their attention, their effort, and their willingness to learn. They are encouraged to share their talents with each other, with their school, and with their community.
Our parents and our community have the responsibility to support our staff and students individually and collectively – through their interest, time, and resources. They are urged to communicate their ideas and concerns and to work with staff members and students to solve problems and achieve mutual goals.
The growth of each individual into a self-fulfilled, successful, responsible member of our changing society must be the standard by which our educational efforts are judged.
The Middle School Community is driven by the belief that we can make a difference in the lives of all students.
We also believe that
- each student is unique and special.
- given the proper support, time and motivation, each child can achieve excellence at a high level.
- high expectations should always be clearly articulated to each student, parent, staff member and the community.
- students are successful when they feel valued, respected, cared for and supported.
- every student, teacher and administrator wants to be successful.
- all parents and teachers want what is best for their children.
- no student will be left behind.
- we must develop trust and support systems that embrace excellence in everything we do.