2012 New Cassel Farmers' Market: Youth Staff Job Announcement
Application Deadline: Friday, June 1, 2012
Unified New Cassel Community Revitalization Corp. (UNCCRC) has partnered with the Long Island Farm Bureau and the Farmers Market Federation of New York to operate a community-based youth-run farmers' market, similar to youth-run markets developed by Sustainable Long Island in Roosevelt and Bellport. This program aims to increase access to fresh, healthy, affordable produce and provide jobs and training to local youth.
The project will provide teens (ages 15 – 19 years old) with a part-time job and the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in small business management and customer service and to learn about nutrition and healthy eating and local agriculture and farming.
General description and expectation of market youth staff:
Total participation will be approximately 10 hours weekly. Youth staff will be expected to have reliable transportation and travel to and from meetings and to the market location on Saturdays. In addition to attending weekly markets, youth staff will be responsible for helping promote and/or publicize the market prior and during market season and to conduct evaluation of the program at the end of the season, presenting findings to market staff, community partners.
Other duties will include:
· Participate in 2-day training session prior to opening day
· Work weekly at market (Saturdays; July 7 – November 17)
· Set up and break down market each week
· Fill out daily supply and set up check lists
· Provide effective customer service, engaging customers in a friendly manner
· Promote and publicize market in local community
· Assist with inventory, produce ordering
· Conduct close-out: count sales, cash and filling out paperwork under manager supervision
· Get local youth interested in the market
· Document progress in weekly journal entries
· Conduct periodic customer count and vendor sale information
· Maintain market grounds and site conditions
Qualifications for market youth staff:
· Strong communication skills (Spanish and Haitian-Creole speaking youth a plus)
· Passionate about and committed to community
· Hardworking, dedicated and responsible
· Friendly, outgoing, enjoys working with others
· Enthusiastic about food and local agriculture
· Enjoys being outdoors and is able to perform physical activities (i.e. lifting boxes)
· Prior experience with or knowledge about farming, agriculture, farmers' markets and marketing a plus.
Interested youth can complete an application and interview at the UNCCRC office located at 211 Garden Street, Westbury NY. Applications will be accepted through Friday, June 1, 2012. For more information or to request an application, send an email to email@example.com or call 516.984.0230. Individual and group volunteer opportunities available.