The Westbury School District strives to engage all stakeholders in professional development experiences. The goal is to further develop a community of continuous teaching and learning that is focused on the increase of student achievement thus closing the achievement gap.
Our goal is to establish a Professional Learning Community:
- To inspire a shared vision, motivate others to action, and serve as role models.
- To communicate shared values and goals, develop a plan for continuous improvement, allocate resources, build capacity, researching innovative and effective practices, and developing and monitoring accountability processes.
The Westbury Union Free School District is committed to attaining the goals established by the Strategic Plan and initiatives set forth by
the rigors of NYSED and USDOE. Specifically, WUFSD believes that the quality of the classroom teacher is central to the improvement of student achievement. The district believes that . . .
- High rates of student achievement are directly related to the quality of classroom instruction, regardless of the gender, ethnicity, primary language, or socio-economic status of the student.
- The quality of classroom instruction is dependent upon the content knowledge, pedagogical skills, and belief systems of the teacher.
- Teachers develop these characteristics through quality pre-service preparation programs, thorough induction processes, and ongoing professional development opportunities.
To this end, the district has approved a Professional Development Plan that was developed by a team of practitioners and administrators.
The PDP Committee used multiple sources of data that contributed to the goals set forth on the PD Plan.
Staff Development Activities - School Years 2014-2017