WMS Performs at the Bristal Assisted Living
On Friday, June 1st the Westbury Middle School put on an after school performance for the Westbury Bristal Assisted Living Facility.
Councilwoman Viviana Russell Visits WMS
Councilwoman Viviana Russell visited WMS to acknowledge Ms. Haller and her students for the excellent recycling program that they have insitutued and maintain.
Letter From Councilwoman Viviana Russell:
It was a pleasure to visit with this remarkable class today. I am so proud of the work they are doing. I would like to invite the entire class to be congratulated at a formal presentation at our Town Hall on June 19, 2012 at 7:00 pm.
When ordinary people do extraordinary things with in the Town of North Hempstead we like to like to show our appreciation for them by celebrating them publicly before our Town Board meeting. These events are videotaped, archived and made a part of the Town's History. They also appear on North Hempstead TV.
Please let me know how many students will be able to attend. If all are unable to attend we would like to ensure that at the least Racquel, Dani, Chanel and Nestor are there. As well as the two of you.
Viviana L. Russell
Town of North Hempstead
The College Awareness Now (C.A.N.) Club visit to Molloy College
The Westbury Middle School College Awareness Now (C.A.N.) club students went to visit Molloy College on Friday, May 04, 2012. Molloy College is one of our countries leading colleges in the field of nursing. The students learned a great deal and thoroughly enjoyed their visit!
We were greeted by the admissions counselor and given a tour of the college. The students had a mini-college experience. They visited the newly opened 150 student dormitory, the new 500 seat theatre and the library. While visiting the bookstore, through the tour guides explanation of text book costs, the students were able to gain an appreciation for the text books that are given at middle school based on the fact that college students must buy or rent, new or used books. Our students sat in a classroom and had an informational lecture about Molloy and asked a lot of important questions, such as tuition cost, overall average required to attend college and programs offered.
“This was AWESOME! I want to go to this school when I get older!” were just a few of the quotes from one of the students regarding their visit.
Community Clean Up
On Monday, May 7th, Mrs. Haller and Mrs. Steinhauff's Integrated seventh grade science class participated in a town environmental clean up project. The students spent several hours cleaning debris from a lot on Prospect Avenue in New Cassel. Students were excited to participate in this event and were happy to meet Councilwoman Ms. Viviana Russell from the town of North Hempstead. Each student received a t-shirt from the Beautification Committee of the Town of Hempstead. Social workers Mr. White and Ms. Quintin and Special Education Chairperson Ms. Sierra also assisted.
Oyster Bay Field Trip
WMS GIVES BACK
Girl Scouts at WMS are collecting books for children and young adults for youth in Nassau County. The collection site is in the Main Office. The collection will conclude on Friday, May 18th.
Please help support families of deployed soldiers! Operation Shower provides baby showers for expecting moms of deployed soldiers….
There will be a local event in August in Farmingdale for 40 expecting military moms….
Ms. Melendez will be collecting:
Rattles, teethers, towels, bath toys, diapers, etc…
Thank you for your support!
Activism Club Adopt a Village Campaign
The Activism Club is working with the charity Free The Children. We are participating in the Adopt a Village Campaign by fundraising to build a new school in a marginalized community from the ground up. We have chosen to fundraise for Haiti. Free The Children works in an area of need 120km outside of Port-au-Prince.
We have currently raised $3,793.Our goal is to raise $8,500 to build a new school in Haiti.
Westbury Robotics Club at STEM Article
* Select students from the Concert Band performed the Star Spangled Banner at the Sept. 11th memorial ceremony at the Westbury Community Center.
* The WMS Marching Band marched with the students of Dryden St. School at their Halloween Parade on Monday, October 31.
* Select 8th grade Orchestra students participated along with high school students in Mark Wood's "Electrify Your Strings" Workshop on November 14, 2011.
* Chamber Orchestra performed at Parent/Teacher conferences on November 21, 2011.
* Select Band, Orchestra, Jazz Band, and Chorus Club students performed at the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at The Westbury Recreation Center on December 3, 2011.
* Concert Band, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Chorus, and Chorus Club performed at the Winter Concert on December 13, 2011.
* Select Band and Chorus Club Students performed at the Faculty Volleyball Tournament on December 23, 2011.
* Select students participated in All County Band and Orchestra, performing concerts at the Tilles Center at C.W. Post, in January 2012.
* Jazz Band performed at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration at Park Avenue School on January 13, 2012.
* Chamber Orchestra performed at the 2nd Annual Town of North Hempstead Black History Month Celebration on February 16, 2012.
* Westbury School District Music Faculty performed at the Second Annual Faculty Recital on March 1, 2012.
* Select orchestra students performed at the Long Island String Festival Association Festivals in November 2011 and March 2012.
* Select 8th grade music students will perform alongside high school students at the Long Island Philharmonic Residency in March 2012.
* Chamber Orchestra will perform, and music students will be acknowledged at the Celebrating Women in the Community Brunch on March 31, 2012.
* WMS Marching Band will march in the Little League Parade in April 2012.
* Students will attend the NYSSMA (New York State School Music Association) Solo Festival in April 2012.
* Concert Band, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Chorus, and Chorus Club will perform at the Spring Concert on May 15, 2012.
* Chorus Club will perform at the Relay For Life Cancer Fundraiser on June 9, 2012.